On the hill of the city, as the locals affectionately call it the Little Vatican, a women's Benedictine monastery is located on the edge of the historic Glagolitic Square.
The foundation of this Benedictine monastery dates back to 1223. Information about the monastery is quite scarce. However, the monastery began to be mentioned more in the 15th and 16th centuries.
The preserved will of Cecilia Valpovacka from 1348 mentions the church next to which the monastery was built, which is believed to have retained its authentic appearance over the centuries. In 1780, the church was baroqueized, and it was named the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary after the altar of the same name by the famous master Sebastijan Petruci. The monastery building has been modestly expanded throughout history, and the dilapidated belfry was upgraded with carved stone in 1905.
Monastery of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The monastery was without a single nun from 1600 to 1619, when monastic life was renewed in it by two nuns from Cres.
Like many others, this monastery was originally intended for the daughters of nobles, and then opened to all girls, regardless of their origin. However, there was a difference, namely in the amount of the dowry, which was from 200 to 400 ducats.
For centuries, they have enriched the life of the city of Krk through prayer intercession and the education of female youth in the Christian spirit and work. Throughout history, the monastery was like a craft workshop, teaching young girls practical household skills such as cloth weaving, fine binding and knitting. At that time, they suppressed the stereotype of the socially useless and for 100 years ran a girls' elementary school in the Italian language.
Our place and location
Rich in natural beauty, it was called the "Golden Island" in ancient times. It shows the harmonious coexistence of past and present.
Due to its diverse and rich cultural heritage, Krk is decorated with many names, including the 'cradle of Croatian culture'. The 'Bašćanska ploča', which was found on Krk, is the most precious ancient Croatian monument whose inscription is the basic text for researching the history of the Croatian language and literature. This is the statement of the Benedictine abbot Dobrovit, who with nine religious brothers built the church of St. Lucius.
Everything you want to know about our community and life, don't hesitate to ask. By learning about our life, you will understand why it is nice to be a Benedictine.